Elk Grove FFA Making History!!!
At the 92nd National FFA Convention, Elk Grove FFA Member, Isabella Albiani made Elk Grove FFA History as she was named the National Creed Speaking Champion, a first for Elk Grove FFA. Additionally, Our Best Informed Greenhand/FFA Quizbowl team placed 4th in the nation and team member Samantha Albiani was named the 3rd High Individual.
In agriscience, Kylie Applemun & Delaney Sarantopulos placed 3rd in their category and four other projects competed at the National level. Our Farm Business Management team participated in the national competition as well. Overall 16 students made it to the semi-finals or ABOVE in their respected contest areas. There are over 700,000 members in over 8,000 chapters in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. To make it to the semis let alone the top four or WIN is flat out PHENOMENAL! Congratulations competitors!
It’s Field Day Season!
Two field days down and five to go before State FFA finals. Competing CDE teams this year include: Ag. Sales, Agronomy, Cooperative Marketing, Marketing Plan, Farm Business Management, Best Informed Greenhand, Livestock, Agriscience and Agricultural Welding. The Elk Grove FFA has participated in the U.C. Davis Field Day and Chico State Field Day the past two weekends. Our teams have been named in the top 5 both weekends for nearly every CDE that has competed. We wish our teams luck in the remaining field days as they prepare for State FFA Finals in May.
Ending the year on a high note
Elk Grove FFA rounded out 2017 with National success!
15 students attended the 2017 National Convention to compete in Agriscience, Farm Business Management and to represent California as a delegate. Our members made us proud earning 2 silvers, an three golds in Agriscience along with a second place overall finish in Advanced Animal Systems earned by Taylor Applemun and Prentyce Hitt. Additionally, The Farm Business management team earned a silver. Finally, Georgia Fedler, as a National Delegate, helped elect the 2017-2018 National FFA President who hails from California!
Elk Grove FFA achieves Sacramento County Fair Success!!
Elk Grove FFA brought over 180 FFA exhibitors to the 2017 Sacramento County Fair where they competed in various shows and events for six days and enjoyed the fun of the fair. A special thanks to the FFA Boosters and volunteers who graciously gave up their week to assist with the fair and provide amazing meals for both Florin and Elk Grove FFA. No one does fair quite like our boosters. We are so thankful for their hard work and dedication to our chapter!!
· Champion Shorthorn Steer
· Reserve Champion FFA Steer
· Champion Hereford Steer
· Reserve Champion Black Cross Steer
· Champion AOB Heifer
· Champion Angus Heifer
· Supreme Champion Heifer
· 1st Place Advanced Beef Showmanship
· Champion FFA Suffolk Lamb
· Champion Natural Colored Lamb
· Reserve Champion Natural Colored Lamb
· Reserve Champion Brockle Face Lamb
· 1st Place Advanced FFA Showmanship
· 1st Place Novice FFA Showmanship
· Champion FFA Single Fryer
· Reserve Champion FFA Single Fryer
· 1st Place Novice FFA Rabbit Showmanship
· 1st Place Small Animal Master Showmanship
· 1st Place Advanced FFA Rabbit Showmanship
· Best of Breed Rabbit-Polish
· Best Opposite of Breed Rabbit-Flemish Giant
· Best of Show
· Best in Division-Large Fowl
· Best in Division-Modern Game
· Best in Division-English
· Best in Division-All other Standard Breeds
· Champion Duroc Market Hog
· 1st Place FFA Advanced Showmanship
· Reserve Champion Pygmy Goat Doe
First Place – Upcycle Livestock Trailer Bar
FFA Champion Suffolk
Champion Natural Colored Lamb
1st Place FFA Novice Rabbit Showmanship
Wine Barrell Fire Pit – First Place
The Results are in: Elk Grove FFA ranks nationally!!
19 Elk Grove FFA members traveled to National Convention in October to compete and serve as National Delegates. Alanna Pere and Cole Ibbotson served as National delegates for the state of California helping to elect the 2016-17 National Officer team. The State Champion Sales team consisting of Ava Solano Lim, Shelby Clifford, Prentyce Hitt and Logan Sigmon competed in the National Contest earning 7th Place. The State winning Farm Business Management Team competed as well. For their efforts, team member Sarah Sigmon earned silver. Finally, five agriscience projects competed in their respective categories. All five projects placed in the top ten, four of which earned gold and one earned silver. Kylie Applemun and Delaney Sarantopolous earned second in Plant Systems and were awarded on stage during the 5th general session!! Congratulations to all participants!
Elk Grove FFA National Convention competitors and attendees
Agriscience Sales Team
Shelby Clifford, Ava Solano-Lim, Prentyce Hitt and Logan Sigmon
The Farm Business Management team
Coach, Mr. Patton
Members: Karlye Clement, Mckenzie Marsh, Sarah Sigmon and Lane Ibbotson pictured with contest sponsor John Deere Representative.
Second Place Agriscience Winners
Kylie Applemun and Delaney Sarantopolous
Mason San Filippo and Larry Satter
State and County Fair Results
At the Sacramento County Fair where 178 Elk Grove FFA members exhibited livestock, ornamental horticulture and shop projects. As a result students earned:
• Supreme Champion Steer
• Supreme Champion Heifer
• Reserve Champion Bull
• Champion Cow-Calf
• Reserve Supreme Champion Eggs
• FFA Grand Champion Rabbit Meat Pen
• FFA Champion Single Fryer
• Champion AOB Lamb
• Reserve Champion Brockle Face Lamb
• 1st & 2nd Place Novice Beef Showmanship
• 4 students in the final round of sheep showmanship
• 5 students in the final round of swine showmanship
• 3 students in the final round of rabbit showmanship
• 1st & 2nd place in Novice Goat Showmanship
• Champion poultry Showman
• Small Animal Round Robin Winner
• Supreme Champion Pygmy Goat
• Best of Division Woodworking Project
• 6 shop projects sold in the silent auction.
The day after the county fair concluded, the top 40 FFA point award members traveled to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom to reward them for a year or hard work and dedication.
June 1st marked the beginning of state fair livestock preparation and food preservation entries. Students worked hard to prepare, market rabbits, market eggs, market turkeys, breeding rabbits and poultry, horses, dairy, cattle, sheep, jams, pickles, barbecue sauce and salsa. They were shown in the FFA market and breeding shows, open show, dairy show and indoor exhibits. The state fair is still underway through July 24th. So far, Elk Grove FFA has received:
• 1st Place Pygmy Goat Showmanship-Ava Solano-Lim
• Champion Pygmy Goat Wether-Ava Solano Lim
• Outstanding Rabbit Exhibitor-Ava Solano-Lim
• Reserve Champion Market Turkey-Kylie Applemun
• Champion Challenge Winner-J.C. Mitchell
• Beef Herdsmanship & CBCIA Award-Elizabeth Vietheer
• Best of Show Jam-Taylor Applemun
Ava Solano Lim wins a Golden Bear
Elizabeth Vietheer and JC Mitchell,
State Fair Winners
Ava Solano-Lim, CA State Fair Rabbit Show
Blaise Sommers with his Wine Barrel Fire-pit
Kyle Blackburn with Feeder High Top Table
Jordan Towns with Tailgate Bench
Gavin Wheatley’s Rope Rack
Janelle Wade’s Peter Pan Bench
Reserve Champion Turkey
Other summer happenings include the 2016 Chapter Officer Retreat held June 29-30. The new team had an opportunity to bond, plan the upcoming year of FFA events, attend great industry tours and enjoy some recreation.
Additionally, FFA Members, Cole Ibbotson and Alanna Pere were chosen to represent the State of California Association FFA as Nation Delegates at the 2016 National FFA Convention.
As summer comes to a close we invite you to join us at our Welcome Back BBQ held August 4th from 6:30-8:00 p.m. at the school farm. Greenhands please come at 1:00 p.m. to the farm to participate in the Greenhand Gateway!
The Elk Grove FFA had a stellar CDE season…
The EGHS FFA was fortunate this spring to win 6 state titles in CDE competition.
State Champion Teams:
- Agricultural Sales
- Farm Business Management
- Farm Records
- Cooperative Marketing
- Novice Agriscience
- Advanced Agriscience
Other State Finals placings:
- Best Informed Greenhand – 2nd
- Agricultural Issues Forum – 3rd
- Agronomy Judging – 8th
State Leadership Contests:
- Job interview – Madeline Schanken – 4th
- Shelby Clifford – Semi finalist
State Proficiency Winner:
- Shelby Clifford – Integrated Agriscience
We are very lucky to have an outstanding set of students to work with as well as a very supportive community. A special thanks to all of our team sponsors.